Thursday, April 28, 2011

KEEPIN IT IN THE FAMILY...

We inherited a writing desk, on the weekend from my Mums recent clean out.
What really made us laugh was the sticker and slug gun pellet we found. The sticker stuck to the side and slug squashed into the timber by a drawer.... 
can you tell my brother Jeff owned it at one stage.... LOL



My Pop mentioned in previous blog post built for my mum when she was a kid back in his builder days. It still has the good timber smell in the drawers, it even had a couple wood shavings in a draw. It is so heavy, it took two people stopping repeatedly to carry into the house!

Solid timber ccomplete with recessed joins and technically built as solid as a house a nuclear bomb would have trouble killing this table!!! It will blend in in Mr 10s room with his timber bed despite the wood grain laminate pop used to dress it up, that must have been the HEIGHT of fashion  about 40+ years ago when this was built. Checkout those draw handles so 1960s... love it!




Mum told a cute story when she gave it to us. Pop made it for her for Christmas but was caught out  working on it in the shed by mum and uncle Ray. When questioned  Pop had said he was making furniture for Marr & Co ( the biggest store in town like Myer way back when) and they totally fell for it!!! Mum said she was so surprised and thrilled when she actually found out it was hers on Xmas day!!!

:)

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Gorgeous story, I love listening to old stories, I spent many a Saturday afternoon sitting with my Gran, listening to her stories and asking lots of questions, so glad I did, I have so so many fond memories and such a better understanding of her 99.9 years on this earth :)

Jen xo said...

nice to have a piece of your family history in the house....my mum had dressing table set in that blond veneer and those handles....